It’s been two years since our last Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend. Looking back on 2016, Laura and I can both agreed that year the theme for us was tired. Not sure why but we just couldn’t shake the feeling of being exhausted that whole weekend and spent a lot of time resting in our room. But this year would be different. We would be energized and ready to have fun!!!
We were determined to be smarter, make better choices. That would involve going to sleep at a decent hour before the races and most importantly napping after the half before after party.
- In 2016 we didn’t nap and crashed mid party. We were shutting down which quickly turned into being what we call punchy tired. You know when you’re overtired and become silly, obnoxious or annoying to most but the most hysterically funny person to your bff. So there goes Tip #1-NAP.
- Another thing I recommend is making sure you attach your party ticket to magic band of staying on property. Almost left resort without my ticket. If it wasn’t for our friend asking do you have ticket. Of course then I’m scrambling trying to find it. Tip 2- make sure you have ticket or attach to magic band.
- Now the after party in 2016 and 2018 were quite different. The main reason, rain. The weather was gorgeous in 2016. That meant the after party was extremely crowded. Be prepared for this. I recall squeezing through a wall of people at the Rose & Crown to try and get a drink. I didn’t expect it to be so crowded. Wait times for characters also very long. The wait time for Remy & Emile at both parties was around 2 hours. The party is 3 hours so if this is a must I recommend getting in line before party officially starts. They let you into Epcot with party ticket at 8pm. Note: they actually closed some character lines by midnight despite the party going til 1:00am because the lines were so long. Tip #4-expect big crowds
- In 2018 a storm rolled in and the rain stuck around until about 11:30pm. This was somewhat of a blessing because it really cleared away the crowds. Character waits were much shorter but we had to deal with lots of rain. Which leads me to next suggestion, be prepared for all weather and pack those ponchos. I luckily knew to do this but it was a cheap poncho. I really wanted to buy a good Disney one but between pouring rain and many gifts shops closed couldn’t find anywhere to purchase. And eventually just stick with my cheapie one. However I saw many people completely soaked to the bone with no rain gear. I’m sure they weren’t very comfortable. Tip #5 be prepared for all weather.
- Going back to many stores being closed, I didn’t remember from 2016 and was surprised in 2018 how much is closed. Many of the gift shops, restaurants or parts of the world showcase pavilions at each country were closed. When exiting the character stop for Anna and Elsa there was a cast member there rushing us through the attached gift shop since you had to walk through yet nothing can be bought. So have those ponchos ahead or you may need to go on a wild goose chase trying to find. However majority of drink and food kiosks were still open, even in the pouring rain.
- Overall the race party is a fun event, it’s just good to know what to expect going into it. The wine and dine half marathon weekend is the best bang for buck in the Disney Half series. You get a 15.00 and party which the others do not. It’s a really fun social vibe. I’m not sure id pay 70.00 for a ticket though. I understand people want to go with family members but it’s a pretty steep price for a 3 hour party. Something to consider.
- As with any situation I think much of the enjoyment is what you make of it. Knowing what you’re walking into will help keep you from being disappointed and really be able to enjoy to the max.